Welcome to Civil Aviation Training Centre (CATC)
Participants of CNS induction course carefully following Eng. Lucy Msuya on how the radar operates.
Participants of Aerodrome Control Course from Uganda at 3D Aerodrome Control Simulator
Teaching with demonstration makes perfect understanding
Controller position of the modern radar simulator installed at CATC for Approach radar and Area radar Control
Controller position for the modern radar simulator installed at CATC for Approach radar and Area radar Control
Pilot position for the modern Radar Simulator installed at CATC
Group photo remarking the end of Approach Control Procedural Refresher Course No. 1 with the guest of Honour (4th from left), The principal of CATC and the ICAO expert Mr. Rugaba(5th from left)
The Civil Aviation Training Centre (CATC) is the training arm of the Tanzania civil aviation authority (TCAA). It was established on 10th June 1985 through the joint efforts of the Tanzanian Government, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and UNDP. The Centre is located in Dar es Salaam at the Julius Nyerere International Airport (JNIA) Terminal One Building.
Through CATC, substantial improvements have taken place in Africa to meet the training needs and requirements of the aviation industry; thousands of men and women from organisations representing the aviation sector in Eastern, Western and Southern Africa have acquired knowledge, skills and attitude which have tremendously raised their value and improved job performance.
The institute was granted status of an institute of higher learning by the then Ministry of Science, Technology and higher education in April 1993.It is registered and accredited by National Council for Technical Education (NACTE). NACTE was established in 1997 (Act No.9 of 1997) to oversee and coordinate the provision of technical education and training in Tanzania. One of the function of NACTE as stipulated in the Act is to assist technical institutions in overall development of the quality of education provided.
CATC has received certification, accreditation or corporate membership from the following institutions and hence making the college nationally and internationally accepted in offering aviation training programs of high quality and standards
- ISO 9001: 2008 Certified
- Associate member of ICAO TRAINAIR PLUS, Montreal, Canada
- Full accredited by National Council for Technical Education (NACTE) (REG/EOS/006)
- Approved Aviation Training Organization by Tanzania Civil Aviation Authority and Burundi Civil Aviation Authority
- African Aviation Training Organization (AATO) Council Member
- Corporate member of Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport(CILT), London
The institute is owned and managed by Tanzania Civil Aviation authority (TCAA) under the Ministry of Works, Transport and Communication. TCAA was re-established in 2003 (Act No. 10 of 2003) to regulate the air transport and air navigation services. The air transport, besides being the fastest and safest mode of transport for tourists, business travel and in export trade, is also closely linked with the national economic development through its multiplier effects.
- The institutional set up of the CATC will be reviewed to make it more autonomous and operationally self-sufficient so as to become more an aviation industry-accepted training institute.
- Purchase of modern training facilities that include simulators.
- Relocation of the Centre to a new site to allow expansion.
- Upgrading of library with current aviation literature, periodicals, reference materials and build a computerized reference system.
- Development of new courses in collaboration with IATA, FAA, SAA, ICAO TRAINAIR Plus and other institutions within and/or outside the Country.
- Offer equal opportunities for both female and male students attending various courses at the Centre.
- Increase the number of female instructors by 50%.
- Market the CATC in order to reach more customers both local and international.